Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dolls' nappies (diapers)

KCWC turned a bit to custard at the end of the week as my overlocker ran out of thread and I haven't had a chance to buy some more yet! I have half finished matching dresses for my girls that I will share over the next few days when I finish them. Instead I found a couple of little projects that are not kids clothing, but still worthy of sharing I think. The first are very quick and simple felt nappies, the second is an owl tag toy that I am very happy with and will share tomorrow.

I love felt! Such an easy fabric to work with. No hemming and almost indestructible for kids! A really quick way to make nappies for dolls (or other toys) is to use felt. They won't fit perfectly or be streamlined under their clothes, but they are easy for little hands to put on and off and are very quick and easy to make.

You will need: Felt, hook and loop tape (also called "velcro" sometimes), thread

1. Firstly you will need to make a pattern for the toy that you are making the nappy for. I used some baking paper and kept trimming and extending it until it fitted "buba" the doll. Once you have the pattern you can use it over and over again. Your pattern should be shaped like this:


2. You then need to cut one of more outlines from felt from your pattern.




3. You then need to sew hook and loop tape onto your nappy as shown below. It doesn't really matter which goes where, hook or loop, just as long as you have both and don't use the same one in both places! You will need one kind in the centre and the other kinds on both the "arm" bits that stick out.






4. Put the nappy on the doll! It's as simple as that!


2 comments:

  1. Funny the doll has her own change mat, cardboard. Felt is good eh. As is pinterest where all these ideas have come from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. la casa del pannolino

    ReplyDelete