Thursday, January 5, 2012

Junebug Dress Remix

A while ago I followed the Junebug Dress sewalong on Craftiness is not optional. I produced a cute ladybird summer dress for Mia, which you can see in the bottom 2 photos below. Project Run and Play is running a competition where readers can also enter their designs along with the blogging contestants. I have decided to attempt to enter a design in each of the 5 weeks, not because I think I will win, but because it is a good incentive!

One of the things I really wanted to make for the girls this winter are warm but dressy winter coats. I decided to use the Junebug dress as a starting point to create a little lined jacket for Ellie.





The striped outer material is a wool mix that I got from fabric-a-brac. The floral lining was $3 a metre from spotlight. I really like the combination of fabrics. I made it double breasted (1 row of buttons is just for show) like the original dress.

Here is Mia in the original Junebug dress and Ellie in her jacket:



It was hard work getting a semi-decent photo of a 10 month old who can't walk or crawl yet, but somehow manages to never stop moving, and a 3 year old who has a seriously awful fake smile!



Hopefully the jacket still fits Ellie in winter. I had fun making it and it was the first pattern I had really made up by myself!




1 comment:

  1. The coat looks great Sara. You're sewing is just getting better and better all the time. Look forward to seeing the next creation.

    ReplyDelete