Friday, June 3, 2011

Birthday Season!



I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks due to a trip north to see my parents. I had visions of getting sewing done, and even took some with me but as I had to look after the girls each day while they were at work, pretty much nothing got done. Also Miss E has taken to doing a lot of waking during the night, which means I have to use nap time for naps rather than crafts! I am working on matching tops for M, myself and her doll, but they are still a work in progress!


While away, Mum gave me a stack of her old fabric so I am excited about using that. I also created some felt finger puppets and patterns, but again those are a work in progress and not ready to be reported on yet!


M turns 3 in just over a week! Because obviously her antenatal (boy) friends all turn 3 at around the same time, and I happen to have friends with kids who are pretty much exactly a year and two years older, it is big time birthdya season. We have birthday parties every weekend except 1 for 8 weeks! In lieu of a present my friend Mel asked me to make her big 5 year old boy a birthday cake, which we were both stoked about as I love making birthday cakes, and she hates it! I hate the polished creations of this day and age with their fondant (which I think tastes like c**p!). I am an avid fan of the 1980s Women's Weekly Cake Book that my mother had when we were kids. I remember choosing a cake every birthday and it would magically appear in the cabinet in the lounge to be stared at until the candles were lit and the cake devoured at the end of the part. I love this book so much I even paid pretty much full price for a second hand copy (in very good condition!). I am continuing the tradition of letting my little girls choose a cake each birthday.


Anyway, B wanted to have a Pirate Birthday Party for his 5th, and wanted me to create a skull and cross bones cake. Again I was excited as this was about as boyish as you can get and with 2 girls, I can't see me having too many opportunities for such masculine cakes! There isn't one in the cake book so I made up my own. I think it looked great, although I had to add some extra milky bar to the sides as it was a bit lacking in lollies!!


Mia's party is in 2 weeks, can't wait to create her Tiger cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment